The development of a single Cancer Centre at the Austin Hospital creates a number of significant advantages for patients and their families. To find out more about the Cancer & Wellness Centre at Austin Hospital click here.
The services offered for cancer patients, their families and supporting friends, including:
- Wellness Centre – designed for the whole person – providing a quiet space for reflection, or comfortable rooms for group education or peer support. Wellness therapies to complement medical treatment are also available such as meditation, massage, art and music therapy. Find out more about the Wellness Centre
- Cancer Clinics – for specialist multidisciplinary cancer care. These new clinics enable patients to attend a single clinic to see multiple clinicians, rather than multiple clinics on different days. Co-located with the Wellness and Information Centres, patients spend less idle time in the waiting room.
- Inpatient Cancer Wards - for acute cancer care. These refreshingly new wards have more beds, larger rooms and more single rooms. Better facilities for families and carers enable more support for them, as well as the patient.
- Palliative Care Ward – for symptom management, support or end of life care. This peaceful area includes more single rooms with individual balcony access. Spaces for patients to spend time with family and friends will improve their experience.
- Day Oncology – for outpatient cancer treatment. This area provides more treatment bays with double the space available, to enable family or friends to provide support for patients during their treatments in a comfortable and peaceful environment.
- Radiotherapy Centre – for outpatients and inpatients. More state-of-the-art treatment machines means less waiting to commence treatment, and inpatients will no longer need to transfer campuses via ambulance for their daily care. Patient-centred facility design improves patient privacy and support.
- Information and Resources Centre – for all information needs regarding cancer – prevention, diagnosis, treatment, complementary therapies and support. Written and audio-visual information, and access to the internet will be provided in a comfortable lounge room feel.
- Cancer Clinical Trials Centre – for the coordination and facilitation of local and international cancer clinical trials. This expanded space improves access for patients to new treatments and to help facilitate advances in cancer research.
- Apheresis Service - for specialist care and monitoring of intravenous treatment lines. Expanded treatment space enables greater capacity for stem cell collections for bone marrow transplants, co-located in our Day Oncology service to enhance support for the patient.
The Olivia Newton-John Cancer & Wellness Centre provides a patient-centred approach, integrating research, medical treatment, complementary therapies and supportive care programs to help treat the body, mind and soul - not just the disease.